- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 20 min
- Serving: Makes about 2-1/2 cups
Tomatillos are small green or green-purple fruits that are a staple in Mexican cooking. Their fresh and slightly tart flavor make them a delicious addition to various dishes and sauces.
- 3/4 pound fresh tomatillos, husked removed and rinsed well
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 3 fresh serrano chiles, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium ripe avocados (1-1/4 pounds total), peeled, pitted and quartered
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Prepare the oven broiler.
- Place the tomatillos on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and roast in the oven for 10 minutes, turning once halfway through the cooking time.
- In the meantime, put the onion, chiles, and salt in a mortar and pestle and mash to combine.
- Place the tomatillos into a bowl, add the onion mixture, avocados and lime juice and mash well until blended. Add salt and pepper to taste and then serve with some corn tortilla chips.