- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 20 min
- Serving: Yields about 3 cups of sauce
A taste of New Mexico in your home that's delicious over eggs, meat or on its own! Made with fresh jalapeños, green chiles and some onions, this spicy, zesty sauce is as easy and quick as it is good.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 medium jalapeño, chopped with most seeds removed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 14 ounces chopped green chiles in juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon juice
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until they are just soft, about 2 minutes. Add in the garlic and jalapeño and cook it until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in the flour and reduce the heat.
- Add the chiles, water, vegetable broth and salt and pepper. Heat it until the mixture is thick, about 4 - 6 minutes. Remove it from the heat and pour it into a food processor. Add a squirt of lemon juice and pulse until it is smooth.