- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 20 min
- Serving: Makes 2 cups
The general rule of thumb for cooking with chilies is that the smaller the chili, the hotter the taste. Enjoy this spicy jam alone as a dip, or stir it into your favorite dressings for added flavor.
- 1 head garlic, cloves peeled
- 6 long red chilies, roughly chopped
- 3 thumb-sized pieces fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2-1/2 cups caster sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- finely grated zest of 4 limes
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Place the garlic, chilies and ginger into a food processor or a blender, and puree until the mixture reaches a paste-like consistency.
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and then add the sugar, water, lime zest, rice vinegar, fish sauce and soy sauce. Simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar has dissolved and then boil the mixture for 10 minutes until reduced.