- Prep: 5 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 20 min
- Serving: 5
Another excellent recipe from Sunkist, this spicy hot lemonade is a perfect winter drink.
- 5 whole star anise
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 strips (about 3 inches each) lemon peel
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 lemon, cut in cartwheel slices for garnish
- In a small non-stick skillet, toast star anise over medium heat, shaking pan to prevent scorching, for 2 to 3 minutes until fragrant and slightly darkened.
- In a large saucepan over high heat, bring 1 cup water, sugar, lemon peel and star anise to a boil.
- Reduce heat and briskly simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add 3 cups additional water and lemon juice and cook until heated.
- Remove and discard lemon peel.
- Serve in mugs garnished with 1 or 2 lemon slices and a star anise.