- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: Makes 12 muffins
Spelt is a gluten-grain with a rich and nutty flavor. It works well as a substitute or in combination with whole wheat flour.
- 1-1/4 cup soft whole wheat flour
- 1 cup spelt
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh or canned peaches
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 extra-large egg
- Brown sugar to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Place the flour, spelt, sugar, baking powder, salt, ginger, lemon zest and peaches into a large bowl and stir well to combine.
- In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, oil and egg until thoroughly blended, and then transfer to the bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir the mixture until combined and then pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and then bake the muffins for 20 minutes, or until the top of a muffin springs back when gently pressed. Le the muffins cool for 5 minutes prior to serving.