- Prep: 5 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 35 min
- Serving: 6
This is a rendition of my grandpa Casey's Spanish riceÂ—a natural served with refried beans. Brown rice can be substituted for the basmati to add a bit more fiber. Team rice up with high fiber beans for a winning balanced meal.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup long-grain basmati rice
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups of water
- 1 (6 ounce) onion (about 1 cup)
- Â½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom pot.
- Pour in rice and stir until lightly toasted and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully stir in tomatoes and 4 cups of water.
- Place pot back on burner and add onion, parsley and salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat until water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rice sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and serve with refried beans or cooked beans of your choice.
- Garnish with chopped tomatoes, avocado, and cucumber.