- Prep: 5 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 35 min
- Serving: 4
Spaghetti squash is a dieter's dream at only 37 calories per half cup. Choose spaghetti squash that is very hard and smooth.
- 1 (4 pound) spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon butter (or olive oil)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup pitted black olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons crumbled Feta cheese (or Parmesan)
- Â½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 to 6 basil leaves, rolled tight, sliced thin
- Pinch or two salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Carefully pierce the shell of the squash all over with a fork.
- Place in a baking dish and cook until the shell is easily pierced with a fork and flesh is tender. Alternatively, heat a large pot of water to boiling. Carefully add pierced squash and boil for 20 to 30 minutes or until shell is easily pierced with a fork and flesh is tender.
- Once squash is cooked, allow it to cool for 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Cut it in half and remove the seeds with a serrated or regular spoon.
- Pull a fork lengthwise through the flesh to separate it into long strands.
- Place strands in a large serving bowl.
- Continue until all of the flesh is removed from the outer shell.
- Melt butter in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook garlic until fragrant, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and olives and cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes.
- Pour into bowl of spaghetti and add Feta, parsley, basil, salt and pepper, tossing to combine.
- Serve immediately in pasta bowls or allow to cool, cover tightly and refrigerate.
- This dish can be eaten warm or cold.