- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: 4 People
America the Tasty is what you will sing when you bite into these peppers, packed with flavor! The southwest kick and the abundance of flavor will likely have you putting this recipe on your repeat list.
- 1 (approximately 1 pound) package ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 habanero pepper, diced for heat (or you can use a bell pepper, diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 package fresh, sliced mushrooms
- 1 bag fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups cooked rice (either leftover or cook for this recipe)
- 4 or 5 large red (or any color) bell peppers, tops and insides (seeds and ribs) removed -- you may want the tops for presentation
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (each) cayenne, garlic powder, cumin, oregano
- 1 cup shredded cheese (a Mexican blend works great)
- Brown the ground turkey in a large skillet and season the ground turkey with seasonings.
- Drain and set aside. Sauté the onion, diced peppers and garlic in the olive oil. Then add the mushrooms and the entire package of the spinach.
- Stir, adding a pinch of the salt and pepper to season the spinach, and cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Remove it from the heat and drain any excess liquid, then stir in the cooked rice and the cooked ground turkey until combined.
- In a small casserole dish, place the whole bell peppers in the bottom. Then fill the peppers with turkey and the rice mixture.
- Add about 1/2 cup of water to the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the mixture and bake at 400 degrees F for about 25 to 30 minutes.