- Prep: 1 hr 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 45 min
- Total: 3 hr
- Serving: 4
Southern Chicken Stew can be prepared ahead and frozen.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1, 3 pound chicken, cut in pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1, 10 ounce package frozen corn
- 1, 10 ounce package frozen lima beans
- 2 cups potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 pound boiled ham, cut in cubes
- 1, 29 ounce can tomatoes in juice, undrained
- In a large Dutch oven, heat butter over moderate heat. Brown chicken in butter. Return all chicken to pot. Add salt, pepper, red pepper and 1 1/2 quarts water. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 45 minutes over moderate heat.
- Remove chicken with a slotted spoon. Add remaining ingredients except tomatoes. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- When chicken is cooled, discard skin and bones and cut into bite size chunks. Quarter tomatoes and add them with the juice and the chicken to the pot. Simmer 15 minutes longer.