- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 50 min
- Serving: 6
South of the Border Surprise Beef Pie has a cornmeal crust and is full of spicy goodness.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1, 20 ounce can red kidney beans, drained
- 1, 12 ounce can whole-kernel corn, drained
- 1, 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1, 15 ounce package corn muffin mix
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- In 10 inch skillet over high heat, cook ground beef and onion until all pan juices evaporate and meat is well browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in chili powder; cook 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce, salt and sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease 12 inch pizza pan. Prepare corn muffin mix as package directs. With back of spoon, spread corn muffin batter in pizza pan, making rim slightly higher than center. Spoon meat mixture over corn muffin batter, leaving a 1 inch rim.
- Spread cheese over meat mixture. Bake 20 minutes or until corn muffin mixture is golden and toothpick inserted in crust comes out clean.