- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total: 40 min
- Serving: 12
Serve Sombero Dip with lots of tortilla chips or spread on flour tortillas.
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 cups onion, chopped and divided
- 1, 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 4 to 5 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2, 15 ounce cans refried beans
- 5 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 cup pimento stuffed green olives
- Brown meat in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up with a fork. When meat starts to brown, add 1 1/2 cups onion and saute until slightly brown. Stir in tomatoes, chili powder, cumin seeds and garlic salt. Simmer until liquid is slightly reduced.
- Add beans and heat thoroughly. Add 4 cups cheese.
- When ready to serve, pour mixture into a large chafing dish. Arrange olives in a mound in the center. Circle with a ring of remaining onions and another ring of remaining cheese.