- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 47 min
- Total: 57 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
This recipe for spoon bread is crusty on the outside and soft in the center. If you select to use stone-ground yellow cornmeal it will give the bread more of a soufflé-like texture.
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal, stone-ground if desired
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk plus 1/2 cup milk divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into a large bowl and stir to combine. Add the egg and the 1 cup of milk and continue to mix until thoroughly blended.
- Place the butter into an 8-inch square baking dish and place in the oven for a few minutes to melt.
- Remove the pan and evenly distribute the butter along the bottom of the pan to coat. Transfer the batter to the pan and then pour 1/2 cup milk over the top.