- Prep: 35 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total: 1 hr 20 min
- Serving: 4
Smoky Skirt Steak Roll is filled with cheese and poblano chiles.
- 2 1/2 pounds skirt steak, pounded to 1/4 inch thick
- 1/3 cup red wine vinaigrette dressing
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 poblano chile, roasted, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- Place steak in a large resealable plastic bag. In a small bowl, whisk dressing, lime juice and two thirds of the garlic; pour mixture into bag. Seal and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion, pepper, poblano and remaining garlic; cook for 4 minutes or until just tender. Transfer vegetables to a bowl. Cool 15 minutes. Add cheese and mix.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Pat steak dry with paper towels. Spread vegetable-cheese mixture on steak up to 1/2 inch of edges. Starting at narrow end, roll up steak. Tie roll with kitchen string.
- Preheat grill to medium; leave one burner off. Place steak roll over indirect heat; grill 30 to 40 minutes or until thermometer reads 145 degrees F in center. Remove steak from the grill; let stand 10 minutes. Remove string and slice.