- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 30 min
- Total: 2 hr
- Serving: 6
Smoky Pea Soup is hearty and flavored with smoked ham and a bit of cream.
- 1 pound green split peas, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped
- 3 each, carrots and celery ribs, trimmed and chopped
- 1 celeriac or rutabaga, peeled and chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 1, 32 ounce box chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups smoked ham or cooked polish sausage, sliced
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Peas in a large pot. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches; heat to simmer; skim off foam. Cover and cook until peas are almost tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large saucepan. Add onions, carrots, celery and celeriac. Cook until tender about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and tarragon; cook 2 minutes. Stir vegetables into peas along with the ham bone and broth. Simmer, uncovered, stirring often, until all vegetables are tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove bone. Puree soup until smooth. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Stir in ham and sausage and top with a drizzle of cream.