- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 3 hr 30 min
- Total: 3 hr 55 min
- Serving: 4 people
Fresh vegetables and beef slow cooked to the perfect tenderness.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 3 pounds boneless top round or rump roast
- 3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 medium white potatoes, cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 envelopes onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon constarch
- Combine butter and sunflower oil in large skillet and melt together. Put in the beef and onion. Cook until beef is brown on all sides. Move beef and onion into a slow cooker.
- Place the carrots, bay leaves, and potatoes around the beef and sprinkle with salt. In a heatproof bowl, mix the soup mix with 3 cups boiling water. Stir until smooth.
- Add the soup mixture to the slow cooker by pouring it over the beef. Cover and cook on high for 3 1/2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- In a medium saucepan, make a paste by mixing together the cornstarch with 1 teaspoon of water. Then take 2 cups of liquid from the slow cooker and add it to the saucepan and bring to a boil while stirring until thick.
- Serve beef with vegetables and gravy.