- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 6 hr
- Total: 6 hr 20 min
- Serving: 6
You will need a slow cookerÂ—also known as a crockery potÂ—with 5 to 6 quart capacity for this chunky soup. A hearty bowl of vegetable-rich minestrone on a cool autumn afternoon or snowy evening in winter will warm your body and soothe your soul, especially after a long day or a hard workout.
- 2 carrots, sliced on the diagonal (about 1 cup)
- 2 celery stalks, sliced on the diagonal (about 1 cup)
- Â½ cup frozen peas
- 1 (8 ounce) sweet potato, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 (28 ounce) can roasted tomatoes or Italian plum tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed, drained
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, crushed
- Pinch of cayenne
- Pinch salt
- 1 pound escarole or spinach, washed, patted dry, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 4 ounces dry small shell pasta (about 1 Â¼ cup)
- Â½ cup scallions, green and white parts chopped
- Â½ cup fresh chopped parsley
- Â½ cup fresh grated Romano cheese
- Toss carrots, celery, peas, potato, tomatoes, beans, broth, vinegar, fennel seeds, cayenne and salt to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
- During the last 20 minutes of cooking, stir in escarole and pasta.
- Soup is ready when pasta is tender.
- Divide into serving bowls and garnish with scallions, parsley and Romano cheese.
- Serve with a crusty slice of whole grain bread or baked croutons.