- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 15 min
- Serving: Serves 4-6 people
Simple tricolore salad takes you back to the basics. Great as a starter or salad dish with your meal, this recipe shows simplicity is sometimes the best.
- 1 small red onion, sliced in thin rings
- 6 large tomatoes
- 1 small bunch arugula, coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Extra-virgin olive oil to drizzle
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Soak the onions in a small bowl of cold water for about 30 minutes, drain and pat them dry. Slice the tomatoes as you prefer, either in small wedges or in slices.
- Arrange half the tomatoes on a serving platter. Liberally drizzle the olive oil over them and layer them with half the arugula and half the onion slices. Season well with salt and pepper. Add a layer of cheese, and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Sprinkle the pine nuts on top of the salad, cover and chill it for about 2 hours prior to serving.