- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total: 40 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
Mashed potatoes are the ultimate comfort food. Enjoy this simple side dish with meatloaf or braised beef with red sauce.
- 1-1/2 pounds baking potatoes (such as russet or Yukon gold), peeled and quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons milk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chives and butter to garnish
- Place the potatoes into a large pot and cover with water. Sprinkle in a few pinches of salt, cover the pot and bring mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Boil the potatoes for 25 minutes, carefully drain and place back into the pot.
- Add the butter and milk to the potatoes and beat the mixture with a large fork or potato masher. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and then continue to mash until reaching desired consistency.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes to a serving bowl and garnish with a pat of butter and some fresh chives.