- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
Succulent pieces of shrimp are smothered in a sweet and savory tomato-based sauce made with garlic, fresh herbs and onion. Enjoy this dish served over rice of freshly cooked pasta.
- 1-1/2 pounds shrimp, de-veined and rinsed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 14 ounce can Italian tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley, coriander, dill and chives)
- 1 bay leaf
- Place the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Once it begins to shimmer, add the shrimp and sauté until opaque. Transfer the shrimp to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onions to the hot pan, sauté for 5 minutes over medium heat, and then add the garlic, tomatoes, half of the herbs and the bay leaf; bring the mixture to a simmer and then cook for 5 minutes. Return the shrimp to the pan, cover and cook over medium-low heat for an additional 4 minutes.
- Add a few pinches of salt and pepper to the mixture and then sprinkle with the remaining herbs; serve immediately.