- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 3 hr 30 min
- Total: 4 hr
- Serving: 8
Short Ribs and Beans are simmered in a thick chili sauce.
- 1, 16 ounce package dry navy beans, sorted and rinsed
- 1/4 pound salt pork, diced
- 2 pounds beef chucke short ribs, cut into serving pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1, 16 ounce bag carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1, 16 ounce can tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In 8 quart Dutch oven over high heat, heat beans and 8 cups water to boiling; cook 3 minutes. Remove Dutch oven from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans; set aside.
- In same Dutch oven over medium heat cook salt pork until lightly browned. With slotted spoon, remove pork to paper towels to drain.
- In drippings remaining in pot, cook short ribs, a few pieces at a time, until browned on all sides, removing them to plate as they brown. Spoon off all but 2 tablespoons in Dutch oven. In drippings, over medium heat, cook onion until tender, stirring occasionally. Add chili powder; cook 1 minute.
- Return beans, short ribs and salt pork to Dutch oven; add brown sugar, salt and 6 cups water; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 2 hours, stirring mixture occasionally.
- Skim off fat from liquid in Dutch oven. Stir in carrots, tomato puree, vinegar, and hot pepper sauce; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 45 minutes longer or until beans, meat, and carrots are tender, stirring occasionally.