- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 10 min
- Total: 1 hr 30 min
- Serving: Serves 4-6
Nothing beats a classic Shepherd’s Pie for dinner on a cold winter’s night. This comforting family favorite can be assembled in advance and then baked in the oven before serving.
- 1 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 20 ounces ground beef
- 14 ounce can of peeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 fresh or dried bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the carrots and onion for 5 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned. Mix in the ketchup, tomatoes, stock, thyme and bay leaf and simmer, covered, on medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Fill a large pot a little over half way with salted water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and boil until very soft. Drain the potatoes and return to the pot. Add the butter, milk and Parmesan, and mash with a potato masher until smooth.
- Empty the beef mixture into an oven proof casserole dish and then top with the mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 35 minutes and then serve warm.