- Prep: 4 hr
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Total: 4 hr 55 min
- Serving: 16
This Shepherder's Bread recipe makes a huge loaf in a Dutch oven. If you prefer, bake the dough in two souffle dishes for a family size loaf.
- 3 cups very hot tap water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 9 cups flour
- vegetable oil for greasing bowl
- In a large bowl, combine hot water, butter, sugar and salt. Stir until butter is melted and water temperature is about 110 degrees. Stir in yeast, cover and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Beat in about 5 cups flour to make a stiff batter. Add about 3 1/2 cups more to make a stiff dough. Place on floured surface and knead until smooth and satiny. Place dough in greased bowl, turning it over to grease top.
- Punch dough down and knead briefly to release air bubbles. Grease inside of a Dutch oven and place dough in it. Cover and let rise until dough reaches top of Dutch oven.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes or until loaf is golden brown. Remove the foil about half way through the baking.