- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 35 min
- Serving: 6 Servings
The tarragon in these classic sandwiches adds a distinctive fennel and anise-like bold flavor, while the shallot provides fresh and subtle onion undertones.
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1-1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon capers, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 12 slices of rye bread
- 6 lettuce leaves
- Place the eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring eggs to a rolling boil and then switch off heat and let stand, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- Remove eggs from the pan and set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, add the mayonnaise, shallot, tarragon, capers, vinegar, salt and pepper to a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Peel the eggs and chop into small pieces.
- Place eggs in bowl with mayonnaise mixture and mix until well combined. Check seasoning and then spoon egg mixture onto a slice of bread, topping with lettuce and a second slice.