- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: Serves 4
Avoid binges and cravings by cooking nutritious, low-calorie meals that are within the recommended daily calorie and fat intake, like this balanced 500-calorie meal.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 large onions, sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound beef tenderloin, (filet mignon) or sirloin steak, 1 to 1-1/4 inches thick, trimmed and cut into 4 steaks
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola, or blue cheese
- Sauté onions and brown sugar until the onions are very tender and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add broth, vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until the liquid has almost evaporated, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Transfer the onions to a bowl; cover to keep warm. Clean and dry the pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper on both sides of each steak.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add the steaks and cook until browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Top with cheese, cover and cook until cheese is melted and the steaks are cooked to desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare.
- Serve the steaks with the caramelized onions.