- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Total: 15 min
- Serving: 6 Servings
Cabbage and fennel are first seared in a skillet to lock in caramelized flavor, and then sliced and tossed with spicy green chilies, caraway seeds and orange segments to make a zesty and piquant slaw.
- 1 bulb fennel
- 1/4 head red cabbage
- 1/4 head cabbage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 green chilies diced
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- segments of 2 oranges
- Place the olive oil into a skillet over medium-high heat. Once it begins to shimmer, add the cabbage and the fennel to the pan and sear on all sides until light brown. Set the vegetables aside on a clean countertop and then slice each into long strips once cool enough to handle.
- Place the cabbage, fennel, orange segments and a few pinches of salt and pepper into a bowl and toss to combine. Add the sour cream, caraway seeds, red pepper flakes, chilies, and cilantro, and toss the mixture once more to mix.