- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 4 min
- Total: 14 min
- Serving: 8 servings
This simple yet complex-flavored dish combines the sweet and tart taste of ruby red grapefruit with pickled cocktail onions and pan-seared sea scallops. A delicious and eye-pleasing starter that will prove ideal for your next dinner party, serve with a French Chablis.
- 4 small ruby red grapefruits, about 2 pounds total
- 3 tablespoons pickled cocktail onions
- 2 tablespoons packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Freshly ground pepper
- 24 sea scallops, about 2 pounds, rinsed and patted dry
- Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Peel the grapefruits, cut in half and then remove the juicy sections and place into a bowl. Add the cocktail onions, the parsley and a few grinds of fresh black pepper and gently toss to combine.
- Place the oil into a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Once it begins to shimmer, sprinkle the scallops on both sides with some salt and then place in the pan and cook for 4 minutes, flipping once.
- Put the scallops onto plates and top with the grapefruit and onion mixture. Add a drizzle of oil and serve immediately.