- Prep: –
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total: 25 min
- Serving: Serves 8
A nice change from mashed potatoes, these scrumptious scalloped sweet potatoes can be made up to two days ahead and simply reheated in the oven.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, halved, and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softene
- 2-ounces thinly sliced prosciutto (about 4 slices), cut into small squares
- 3/4 cup coarsely ground fresh whole grain breadcrumbs
- 1 small clove garlic, smashed to a paste with a pinch of salt
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large pot of salted, boiling water cook sweet potatoes until just tender; drain and spread out on a baking sheet to cool.
- Coat a 1 1/2-quart baking dish with a bit of the melted butter; add remaining butter to a medium-sized skillet and place over medium heat; add prosciutto and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned. Toss the breadcrumbs and garlic with the prosciutto and set aside.
- Arrange a single layer of sweet potato slices in the baking dish; season with salt and pepper and sprinkle half of the cheese and thyme on top; repeat with another layer of sweet potato slices, salt, pepper, and the remaining thyme and cheese; top with a final layer of sweet potato slices and season again with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan. Gently pour the cream over the sweet potatoes and scatter the prosciutto mixture on top. Bake for 25 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Let cool completely and refrigerate. When ready to serve, preheat oven to 400 degrees F and bake for 20 minutes, or until heated through and top is golden.