- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total: 1 hr
- Serving: 8
If the thought of once again eating plain brown rice has you yawning, make this recipe. Nutty rice sweetly studded with a dried fruit medley and the hot bite of ginger, garlic and cinnamon will arouse your tastebuds.
- 1 Â½ cups dry brown rice
- 3 cups water or chicken broth
- Â½ cup chopped green onions (white and green parts)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Â¾ cup mixed dried fruit, chopped
- (dried apricot, mango, papaya, cherries, and currants are just a few choices)
- Â¼ cup crystallized ginger, chopped
- Â½ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Â¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch salt or to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Place rice and water (or broth) in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low, simmer for 45 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Alternatively, place rice and cooking liquid in a rice cooker and cook according to manufacturer's directions.
- In a large serving bowl, combine rice with remaining ingredients.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.