- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total: 1 hr 10 min
- Serving: 6 Servings
Atomic-sized servings of savory creamy onion custard are the perfect first course dish for a luncheon or dinner party. Have recipe prepared in advance and cook when guests arrive.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
- 1/4 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized sauté pan, and sauté the onions for about 7 minutes until translucent.
- Sprinkle in the herbes de Provence, salt and the pepper and sauté for an additional minute. Set aside and allow to cool.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the egg yolks and the half-and-half with a wire whisk. Stir in the onion mixture and combine.
- Divide the mixture between 6 ramekins and then place in a baking pan. Fill pan with boiling water until water reaches halfway up sides of ramekins. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove custard from oven and baking pan and serve warm.