- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total: 1 hr
- Serving: Serves 4
In order to make this a vegetarian meal, use vegetable instead of chicken broth, and omit the pancetta; the dish becomes just as good and flavorful. Serve the beans with a rich Italian wine like Falanghina, Greco di Tufo or Fiano di Avellino.
- 3 pounds fresh fava beans, shelled
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 fresh fennel bulb, trimmed, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, coarsely ground in spice grinder
- 1-1/3 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped pancetta
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Bring a medium-sized saucepan of salted water to boil, and cook fava beans for 2 minutes. Remove from pan and cool; peel off the outer skins of beans.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and sauté the onion and the fennel for about 5 minutes or until onion becomes translucent.
- Add the fava beans and fennel seeds to the pan and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Slowly add 1 cup of broth to the pan while stirring, and then 2 tablespoons of the dill. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer, half covered, for about 12 minutes.
- If the mixture appears dry, add more broth. Add the pancetta and savory and continue to simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Pour in the lemon juice and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of dill. Sprinkle the beans with salt and pepper and serve warm.