- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 40 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
If you have extra time, sprinkle the eggplant cubes thoroughly with salt and place them in a colander to drain for 1 hour, and then rinse with cold water and pat dry. The salt helps draw out the vegetable’s moisture, making them less bitter and firmer.
- 2 pounds small to medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- Place the olive oil into a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic to the pan once the oil begins to shimmer, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the eggplant and cook for 8 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Continue to cook the eggplant, stirring frequently, for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Transfer the eggplant mixture to a serving dish and sprinkle with the pepper and basil.