- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 1 hr 15 min
- Serving: 6
Pair Italian sausage and garbanzo beans with the classic eggplant dish and Voila! Sausage Ratatouille.
- 1 1/4 pounds hot or sweet Italian sausage links
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 green peppers, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 eggplant, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1, 28 ounce can tomatoes
- 2 zucchini, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1, 16 to 20 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained
- In 12 inch skillet over medium heat, heat sausages and water to boiling. Cover; simmer 5 minutes. Remove cover; continue cooking, turning sausages frequently, until sausages are well browned, about 10 minutes. Remove sausages to paper towels to drain. Slice sausages into 1/2 inch pieces.
- To drippings in skillet, add oil. Over medium heat, heat oil until hot; add green peppers, eggplant and onion; cook until vegetables are browned on all sides, stirring occasionally.
- Return sausages to skillet. Add tomatoes with their liquid, zucchini, sugar, salt and thyme leaves; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce to low heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in garbanzo beans; heat through.