- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: Makes 8 muffins
Pork sausage and extra sharp cheddar cheese make these muffins a savory treat when served with breakfast or brunch.
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup pork sausage
- 1-1/2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese plus extra to top muffins
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- Place the sausage into a skillet and brown over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon, drain on some paper towels and then set aside to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and grease a muffin tin with butter or oil.
- Place the flour, cheddar, cooled sausage, baking powder, thyme, sugar, salt and pepper into a large bowl and stir to combine.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the milk, oil and egg until completely blended, and then add to the bowl with the flour mixture. Sit the batter unit just combined and then transfer to the prepared muffin tin.
- Top each muffin with some cheddar cheese and then place in the oven for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin tests clean.