- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 18 min
- Total: 28 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
This German-inspired hearty dish is made with smoked Bratwurst sausage smothered in a sweet and tangy sauerkraut.
- 4 fully cooked smoked bratwurst (about 12 ounces total)
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
- With a sharp knife, cut slits down the length of the bratwurst, careful not to cut through to the opposite side.
- In a large sauté pan, add the cabbage, water, onion, carrot, caraway seed, pepper and salt, and toss to combine.
- Place the sausage on top of the cabbage mixture and place pan over high heat; bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan and simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, and then remove cabbage mixture and sausage from the pan using a slotted spoon to remove liquid.
- Transfer to a large platter, sprinkle with the cheese, toss and serve immediately.