- Prep: 8 hr
- Cook Time: 3 hr 30 min
- Total: 11 hr 30 min
- Serving: 8
- 2 cups candied cherries
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 2 cups bourbon (plus some for storing)
- 1-1/2 cups butter or margarine
- 2-1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2-1/3 cups brown sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 5 cups sifted cake flour
- 4 cups pecans
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Combine cherries, raisins and rum. Cover and let stand overnight.
- Preheat oven to 275F. Grease 10-inch bundt cake pan lined with greased waxed paper or baking parchment.
- Drain fruits; reserve rum.
- Cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add yolks and beat well. Set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup flour, nutmeg, baking powder and pecans. Add flour and rum alternately to butter mixture, beating well. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into flour mixture.
- Fold soaked fruits and pecan-flour mixture into batter. Put into pan.
- Bake at 275F for 3-1/2 hours. Cool. Remove from pan.
- Fill center of cake with cheesecloth saturated with rum. Wrap tightly. Store in tightly closed container in cool place.