- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 50 min
- Serving: Makes about 20 servings
Hummus is such a hearty and delicious spread that can be enjoyed as a snack with pita bread, or slathered onto your favorite sandwich or wrap. Try this tasty roasted red pepper version.
- 3 cups drained chickpeas, canned (reserve 2 tablespoons of liquid)
- 3 red bell peppers
- 3/4 teaspoon minced garlic, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Preheat your oven to 420 degrees.
- Put the peppers onto a baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 20 minutes, flipping occasionally, until their skins are blistered and blackened. Remove the peppers and place into a plastic bag for about 20 minutes, and then remove their skins and seeds once cool enough to handle.
- Transfer the roasted peppers to a food processor along with the chickpeas, their reserved liquid, garlic, salt, crushed red pepper, lemon juice, olive oil and spices. Blend the mixture until smooth and then serve.