- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total: 1 hr 15 min
- Serving: Serves 4
A popular vegetarian dish from America’s Deep South, this side dish is featured in many of the top restaurants in New Orleans.
- 1-1/4 pounds waxy potatoes
- 3 sweet yellow peppers
- 12 shallots
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Scrub the potatoes and blanch in the boiling water for five minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Wash the shallots and coarsely chop. Peel the potatoes and cut them in half, lengthwise. Cut the peppers in half and discard the seeds and the pith, cut into strips.
- Grease an ovenproof casserole dish thoroughly with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Place a row of potatoes in the dish and then alternate with the peppers until both ingredients are used up; sprinkle the shallots on top of both.
- Cut the rosemary sprigs and insert between the vegetables. Drizzle remaining olive oil over the dish and season well with salt and pepper.
- Place dish in the oven and bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes, until vegetables are tender.