- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 50 min
- Serving: 1 Serving
Roasting heirloom tomatoes for this savory Bloody Mary cocktail taken up a notch, brings out their natural sweet flavor and adds a bit of smoky taste as well.
- 1 pound heirloom tomatoes, cut into roughly 1-inch square pieces
- 1 small-medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño chili, stemmed and quartered
- 4 ounces vodka, divided
- 2 ounces tomato water
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
- Pinch celery salt
- A few drops hot sauce
- Salt to rim glass
- fresh heirloom cherry tomato to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the tomatoes, onions, and chili in a single layer in a baking pan and place in the oven for 20 minutes to roast. Stir in the 2 ounces vodka, tomato water and horseradish, and then roast the mixture for an additional 15 minutes.
- Place the roasted vegetables into a blender with the cilantro, a few pinches of salt and pepper, and some lime juice to taste; process until smooth.
- Put 2 ounces of vodka into a cocktail shaker filled with ice along with a splash of lime juice, the Worcestershire sauce, celery salt, hot sauce and the tomato mixture.
- Shake the mixture vigorously for 40 seconds and then strain into a tall, salt-rimmed cocktail glass filled halfway with ice; serve immediately garnished with a tomato.