- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total: 1 hr 20 min
- Serving: 6 Servings
The perfect way to enjoy fall’s bounty, you can also grill the vegetables on your barbeque for a smokier flavor.
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound parsnips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
- 1, 2-1/2-pound butternut squash—peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-by-1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large shallots, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large roasting pan, add the olive oil to the carrots, parsnips, Brussels sprouts, butternut squash, shallots, thyme sprigs. Toss to coat vegetables thoroughly.
- Place the pan in the oven and roast the vegetables for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the pine nuts and toast for 2 minutes and then mix in the butter and garlic, and cook for an additional 2-1/2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Once pine nut mixture is cool, place in a food processor and add the cheese, 3 tablespoons of oil and a sprinkle of salt. Process until pesto is smooth and thick.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and empty in to a large bowl. Toss the vegetable with the pesto and serve warm.