- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: Serves 6
A vegetable-rich custard featuring a savory Mediterranean flair makes this quiche ideal for any meal of the day.
- 1 prepared pie crust, fit into a 9-inch pie plate, chilled
- 1 small eggplant
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Keep pie crust in refrigerator until ready to fill. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Poke eggplant with a fork in many places and place in a small roasting pan. Roast for 30 minutes or until it is very tender. Remove from oven and pan and set aside. Turn broiler setting on in the oven.
- Place tomatoes in the roasting pan and broil for 10 minutes or until charred. When eggplant is cool enough to handle, peel off skin and cut flesh into large pieces. Place eggplant and tomatoes in a blender or food processor and puree. Turn oven to 400 degrees F. Place crust in oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Lightly beat eggs and cream in a large bowl. Add eggplant puree, basil, salt and pepper and whish until well-combined. Pour into pie crust and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until filling is set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Slice and serve garnished a fresh basil leaf or two.