- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 1 hr 25 min
- Serving: 4 People
Elegant, light and delicious, this salad combines the sweet and earthy flavor of roasted beets with a smooth and creamy dressing made from sour cream. An impressive dish for entertaining and an easy dish to prepare.
- 2 medium beets
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 5 cups torn red leaf lettuce or Boston lettuce leaves
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts, lightly toasted (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove any greens from the beets and cut off and discard any stems. Rinse off any dirt or debris from the beets.
- Drizzle beets with oil and then wrap tightly in foil. Roast for approximately 1 hour, or until tender.
- Cool the beets and then peel. Coarsely shred beets and put aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the sour cream, onion, vinegar, sugar and mustard. Add salt and pepper and season to taste.
- Place lettuce leaves on 4 individual plates and then top with equal amounts of shredded beets. Spoon dressing over salad and garnish with toasted walnuts.