- Prep: 2 hr 15 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total: 3 hr 5 min
- Serving: 6
Ripe Olive Skillet Bread has a distinctive flavor that will complement any dish.
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package yeast
- 3/4 cup warm potato water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup warm freshly cooked potato, sieved
- 1 beaten egg
- 4 cups flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups canned pitted ripe olives, cut in wedges
- Mash garlic and salt to a paste. Soften yeast in warm water. Add garlic paste, oil, sugar and potato and beat until well blended. Add 1 1/2 cups flour, beat well, cover and let rise 1 hour.
- Add eggs, remaining flour and olives. Knead gently on floured board a few minutes. Turn into a well-greased 9 inch skillet and brush top with oil. Let rise in a warm place, until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375 degree F for 45 to 50 minutes until loaf is a deep brown and tests done. Let cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out on rack.