- Prep: 40 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 50 min
- Serving: 6 Servings
Rigatoni is the perfect shaped pasta to hold thick and chunky sauces like this one. This zesty combination offers an explosion of flavors with a unique blend of sun-dried tomatoes, eggplant, spinach, pine nuts and ample garlic.
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 14 sun-dried tomato halves (not oil-packed)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (1-1/2 pound) eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons lightly toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4-1/2 cups hot cooked rigatoni
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place sun-dried tomatoes in a heatproof bowl. Pour in boiling water and set aside for 20 minutes until tomatoes soften.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil and sauté the eggplant until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to sauté, stirring constantly, until fragrant, approximately 1 minute.
- Add the spinach, chopped tomatoes, vegetable broth, pine nuts, basil, pepper and sun-dried tomatoes with their liquid. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Put the rigatoni in a large serving bowl, add the eggplant mixture and toss well. Serve immediately, sprinkled with cheese.