- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 50 min
- Serving: 2
Baked squash filled with creamy honey-kissed ricotta and toasted nuts becomes comfort food on a cold blustery day. Savor every spoonful as a midday meal or as a warm end to a long afternoon.
- 1 (1 Â½ pound) acorn squash
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Â½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Â¼ teaspoon ground clove
- Â¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Â¼ teaspoon cardamom
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Â¼ cup toasted hazelnuts*, chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey-toasted wheat germ
- Black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- With a sharp knife, carefully cut acorn squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds with a serrated or regular spoon.
- Rub flesh with olive oil and sprinkle with spices. Wrap each half in foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until flesh is fork tender.
- Remove from oven and unwrap squash.
- Meanwhile, mix ricotta with honey, oregano, and hazelnuts.
- Evenly fill baked squash halves with ricotta mixture.
- Place squash back in oven for 5 to 10 minutes to warm ricotta.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle each half with 1tablespoon wheat germ and season with black pepper. Alternatively, fill squash with ricotta cheese and forgo heating a second time.
- Simply sprinkle with wheat germ, season with black pepper and enjoy.
- Squash can be cooked a day in advance and reheated with the ricotta filling in 400 degree F. oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through.