- Prep: –
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total: 45 min
- Serving: 8 servings
A hearty, creamy potato and corn chowder.
- 8 ears fresh corn
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small baking potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 (1 pint) half-and-half cream, divided
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Slice the corn from the cobs, scraping well to remove all milk.
- In a large soup pot, fry the bacon over medium heat. Remove and crumble, leaving the drippings in the pot.
- Using the bacon dripping, cook the onion and bell pepper until tender. Mix in the corn, potato, some salt and pepper and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover for 15 minutes. Stir every so often.
- Add in 1-1/2 cups of the cream along with the sugar and thyme.
- Mix together the cornstarch with the remaining cream in a separate bowl. Slowly add into the corn mixture.
- Stirring constantly, cook the the soup for about 15 minutes, or until thickened.