- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total: 1 hr
- Serving: 2-4 People
This easy pasta dish is delicious, but beware: rich and creamy fettuccine carbonara is not good for your diet! The recipe calls for bacon, but you can substitute pancetta instead.
- 1 pound of fettuccine
- 1 pound of bacon or pancetta, diced into small pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 pint of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Parsley to taste
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water and two teaspoons of salt to a boil. Once boiling, add the fettuccine and cook it until it's al dente. Drain the pasta and place it back in the pot and set it aside.
- Cook the bacon or pancetta pieces in a large saute pan over medium heat until it's crispy. Once cooked, discard the drippings and remove the bacon or pancetta.
- Using the same saute pan, melt the butter and add the chopped onion, peas and bacon or pancetta to the pan. Saute for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the heavy cream, milk, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to the pan. Simmer everything on low heat for 20 minutes, then turn off the heat and let the ingredients sit for 5 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolks and stir them into the cream mixture.
- Pour the cream mixture over the cooked pasta.
- Toss the pasta, garnish with the parsley and serve.