- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Total: 1 hr 15 min
- Serving: Makes 6-8 Servings
A medley of rice and orzo is first sautéed in butter and then placed in the oven for 45 minutes to cook before tossing with fresh spinach, basil, oregano, feta and pine nuts.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo
- 3/4 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 3-1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth, heated to boiling
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/3 cup finely chopped young zucchini or any summer squash
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh spinach leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the butter into a large oven-safe saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, add the green onions and the garlic and sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in the orzo and cook the mixture for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, and then add the rice and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the hot broth to the mixture, along with a few pinches of salt and pepper, and then cover the pan and place in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Take the pan out of the oven and stir in the carrots, zucchini, spinach, basil and oregano. Let the mixture stand, covered, for 10 minutes and then stir in the feta and the pine nuts. Serve immediately.