- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: 24 cupcakes
Don't settle for ordinary cupcakes when you can make these extraordinary red velvet ones so easily. You may have left over frosting from this recipe. It can be saved in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to five days.
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk (room temperature)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 oz bottle red food coloring
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 oz package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp white distilled vinegar
- For frosting:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; line 2 12-cup cupcake tins with cupcake papers.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, instant vanilla pudding mix, salt, baking soda; set aside.
- With an electric mixer on medium (or in a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment), in large bowl, beat eggs, buttermilk, vanilla extract, vinegar, food coloring and oil until well blended.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to egg mixture and mix until well combined and smooth (approximately 2 minutes).
- Fill cupcake tins 1/2 full with batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean, in 350 degree oven. For best results, rotate pans halfway through baking time. Cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare frosting, sift confectioner's sugar in a bowl and set aside. With an electric mixer on medium (or in a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment) cream together butter, cream cheese and vanilla until blended.
- Slowly add sifted confectioner's sugar to butter mixture. Beat until thoroughly blended, approximately 3-4 minutes.