- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: Serves 4
Shrimp and curry are made for each other – the mild briny taste and tender texture of shrimp has an affinity for the lingering heat of red curry paste. This dish features a creamy coconut sauce with a fresh citrus edge. Lemon grass can be found in the produce aisle while the fish sauce is available in the Asian food section along with the coconut milk.
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 2 green onions, chopped (green and white parts)
- 2 stems of lemon grass, white part only, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 2-1/2 cups coconut milk (about 1-1/2 (14-ounce) cans)
- 1-1/4 pounds large raw shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 to 8 fresh basil leaves, rolled lengthwise, sliced thinly crosswise
- Heat coconut cream in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add green onion, lemon grass, curry paste and lime zest and juice. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Stir in coconut milk and bring to a low boil.
- Add shrimp and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 minutes or until shrimp are just cooked through. Stir in fish sauce and brown sugar. Ladle into bowls over your choice of cooked rice and garnish with fresh basil leaves.