- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 17 min
- Total: 32 min
- Serving: Serves 6 people
High in protein, calcium and iron, quinoa is a good choice for a healthy and filling side dish or light meal. Quinoa with Sugar Snap Peas is a tasty change of pace from traditional rice or grain dishes.
- 1-1/2 cups of quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound of sugar snap peas
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds, roasted and salted (you can substitute toasted, slivered almonds)
- 1/2 cup of chives, minced
- Simmer the peas in a small saucepan until they are colored bright green and still a bit crisp (about one minute). Drain them, pat them dry and cut them into small, diagonal pieces.
- In a small pan, add two cups of water and the quinoa and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until all the water is evaporated (about 15 minutes). Once cooked, fluff the quinoa and transfer it to a large serving bowl and allow to cool.
- Combine the olive oil and vinegar in a small bowl, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the peas, pumpkin seeds (or slivered almonds) chives and dressing to the quinoa. Toss together to coat. Chill the salad slightly and serve.